After graduating in Agriculture & Rural development, Mr John Alex started his career as a Group II Gazetted Officer in Tamil Nadu State Government and served as Extension Officer (Agri) & Block Development Officer in the State Government from 1979 to 1983.
Joined Indian Overseas Bank, a Public Sector Bank as a Probationary Officer and served as Agricultural Field Officer, Branch Manager, Regional Assistant Chief Officer, Senior Manager & Chief Manager in various Branches in Tamil Nadu & Andhra Pradesh from 1983 to 2008.
Joined the Management Team of Equitas in 2008 and conceptualized and set up the team for Social Initiatives with a clear focus to address a larger spectrum of requirements of small clients in the field of Health, Education, Skill Development, Food Security, and Placement for unemployed Youth, Inclusive model for persons with disability & trans genders.
Awards & Recognition for Equitas Model:
- Presented Case Study in XLRI, Jamshedpur – Awarded Innovation for Impact 2013,
- Visited on an invite from MFI’s in Indonesia in 2013 and show cased Equitas model
- Presented Case Study at the 16th International Micro credit submit at Manila in Sept 2013
- Presented Case study at SPTF Annual meet at Senegal in June 2014
- Presented Case study integrating Microfinance & Health at the Annual National Microcredit Summits 2010, 2011 and 2013 in New Delhi Presented Case study on Disability Inclusion in Microfinance in the National Microcredit summit 2014 in New Delhi
- Awardee under Category-Companies for universal design to reach out to persons with disability in the NCPEDP 2014, at Delhi
- Presented case study at FINCA International, Washington DC in Oct 2014
- Visited on an invite MFI’s in Mexico and show cased Equitas Ecosystem in Oct 2014
- Received the FICCI India award for 2015 for outstanding CSR work among mainstream Industries
- Presented case study in 2016 at the Annual Micro credit summit at Abu Dhabi
- Presented a case study in 2016 at the Annual conference hosted by Social Performance Task force (SPTF) at Morocco
- Presented paper on entrepreneur Development program for disabled women in the Workability Asia Conference held in Aug 2016 in Bangalore, India
- Presented paper on helping farmers through aggregating on both demand & supply chain in the National Microfinance summit at Delhi, India in Sept 2016
- Presented the Equitas Model of inclusive finance to over 18000 women with Disabilities and received an award for innovative projects for the disabled at the Zero Project conference held at UNO, Vienna in Feb 2017
- Presented the Equitas Model of Inclusive Finance to over 19000 women with Disabilities and received the award for Market Place Innovations at the “Disability Matters Asia Pacific Conference & Award 2017 conducted by Springboard Consultants USA
- Presented the Equitas Model of Inclusive Finance at the Annual SEEP conference held in Washington DC from Oct 2-4, 2017
- Was invited to give a guest lecture to MBA students at the Advance Centre for International Studies, John Hopkins University, Washington DC on 6th Oct, 2017
- Speaker at the European Microfinance Week at Luxembourg closing ceremony on 1st Dec,2017
- Presented the Case Study on an invite Westpac Bank a 200 year old Bank & 1st Bank in Australia in May 2018
- Received the SKOCH AWARD for Top Ranking CSR Project by Banks in India in 2018
- Presented Equitas Case Study at the Global Microfinance summit 2018 at Istanbul, Turkey on 24th & 25th, Jan 2019.